Lent Study 1: Sharing and Giving
1. What does that mean?
2. Can it be hard to give things away?
3. Should we also give things away to show we are grateful for what we have?
Lent is often a time when we think about:
· giving something away
· or not doing something we like to do so we have time to help someone else. Giving up something we like to do.
1. That can be hard? Why?
2. What can we give away?
One day, just after Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist, Jesus was asked to do something very hard. This story is in Luke 4: 1-13.
At the end of this video there are some questions: Let’s think about a couple of them:
1. I wonder what Jesus and God talked about in the desert?
2. Was it hard for Jesus to say “no”? Is it hard for us to say“no”?
So we have heard how we can give up something to show we are thankful. We know it can be hard. But Jesus was asked to do something tough and he managed it. How?
Maybe we too can ask God to help us when we give something away or give something up.
Other L’Arche Communities
Something we like to do in our L’Arche community is to think of other communities in the world who may need some help, our help.
3. Is there someone from another community you may know? A former assistant or someone who visited our community Or someone you visited on travels?
4. Who do we know from L’Arche communities in other countries.?
5. Are there ways we can help these communities? Are there ways we can contact these communities in friendship?
Closing Prayer (This is the L’Arche Brisbane Prayer)
God you call us into L’Arche. You invite us to give life. You are with us in calm and troubled waters. Be our hope. As we continue the journey together. Amen.